ÅAC Microtec has developed a modular microsatellite PCDU (Power Conditioning and Distribution Unit) concept with focus on high reliability, resiliency and performance. The PCDU is scalable depending on the features and interface requirement of the specific mission. It provides high power 28 V outputs and redundancy for power distribution as well as command and control via CAN or RS485. A rigorous testing and extended qualification campaign compliments an innovative design approach that combines COTS and radiation hardened components and optimizes the reliability and performance characteristics of the system.
• Reliable high-performance power solution for micro
• Modular design approach delivers scalability and easy
tailoring of interfaces to mission requirements
• High power 28 V outputs
• Reliability and qualification levels suitable for many
different mission types
• All outputs protected by Latching Current Limiters (LCLs)
or Retriggerable LCLs (RLCLs)
• Support for redundant power supply to consumers
• FPGA based control and monitoring of all switches and
interfaces through redundant CAN or RS485
• COTS components with verified space performance
combined with radiation hardened components.
• MPPT or S3R battery charge regulation
• ITAR free equipment
• 900 W peak power
• 28 V nominal bus and battery voltage
• Power converter for isolated auxiliary output
The PCDU adopts a modular design approach which enables easy customization. Integration of interfaces for deployment mechanisms, magnetic torquers and other equipment can be accommodated through the addition
of modular design elements. This approach minimizes the risk of failure and, reduces the additional qualification requirements. Propulsion control interfaces are available within the same modular form factor.
Download product sheet
ÅAC Microtec has designed electrical power systems for a number of satellites such as TechEdSat-1, TechEdSat-3P, QuadSat and Risesat.
The electrical power systems are built around ÅAC Microtec’s modular power management unit design that can easily be combined and customized to fit the varying needs of different spacecraft. Power generation and storage equipment (solar arrays and batteries) are provided by established suppliers.
ÅAC Microtec is able to supply complete electrical power systems as subcontractor to the prime, or to provide power management products to the designers of electrical power systems.